MAKING

 

 

This part contains notes about the making of the game. Despite of the fact that "A Second Face" is a computer game, my decision was to make a lot of work by hand.

 

Characters

Every character was sketched with a piece of charcoal which gave the original sketches something very abstract and rudimentary. Later the sketches were colored and shaded with water colors. The finished oversized paintings were scanned into the computer and diminished in size to make the characters look more detailed. The result can be seen in the game.

 

 

Backgrounds

A similar procedure was used to make the backgrounds. The sketch above was one of the first sketches for the game. It was done while sitting in a train, that is why it looks a bit shaky. I used the sketch as background for a 3D-CAD model that was edited digitally afterwards to fit with the colors and style of the characters.

 

The design of the city was influenced by a city map of ancient Babylonia that I found in a book about Mesopotamian history. In Babylonia people were praying to the godness of fertility Ishtar. Once in a year there was a festival of fertility where every woman had to stay together with a stranger.

 

 

Animations

All characters and backgrounds were animated digitally via photoediting. I didn't make any sketches but basically worked with my own body to get a feeling for the motion by throwing myself on the floor or hitting things in my flat. The game animations were limited to six pictures to make a compromise between economy and fluid motion.

 

 

Music

I composed the music first on the piano and orchestrated it later. The midi version was sampled with open source VST libraries of orchestral sounds. A similar procedure was used for sound and voice effects.

 

 

Scripting

The game was scripted in Adventure Game Studio. The puzzles were invented and added while I was scripting. I didn't have a real idea of what I was doing but improvised a lot of material. First I started with some backgrounds and some characters until I got an idea for a plot and some puzzles. The major cut-scenes were written and developed to give the game a basic plot structure. From there the game was developed in a non-linear way. I worked on everything at the same time. Drawing, CAD-modelling, dramaturgy and scripting were mixed together wich was a good way for me to make things grow together.